Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

On Empirical Superiority and What Truly Counts in Higher Education

I recently attended a higher education reform event that, putting it lightly, induced both thought and reflection. I wrote a response to some of the claims made during the event and shared it with a few of the organizers. In particular, I took issue with a comment surrounding the value of on-campus experiences and in-person interactions with faculty. I supported my argument by vaguely referencing the massive body of literature that analyzes the effects of college on students. I failed to cite specific sources, mainly because we’re talking about thousands of empirical studies over many decades—studies on how students learn, transition, and succeed in college, otherwise known as the foundation of higher education and student affairs scholarship.

After I shared my piece, one of the organizers asked that I name specific studies and findings. It initially struck me as odd that I bear the burden of citing sources for my arguments, while he can make any claim he likes without reference to empirical research. Nevertheless, I acknowledge that he was giving a speech and I was writing an essay, and platforms carry different expectations. I also set aside the obvious challenges of talking about research through Twitter (as it turns out, 140 characters ain't going to cut it when it comes to citing research). In the end, I provided a few examples, all of which are fantastically commonplace in higher education research (e.g., How College Affects Students by Pascarella and Terenzini).

I have come to realize that this Twitter debate was probably a waste of my energy, as it is unlikely to change anyone’s thinking. Although I would like to think that my writing provoked careful consideration of the relationship between campus-based experiences and student learning, I recognize that its reach is limited to the few dozen people who follow me. I don’t expect to read any of the examples I provided in the organizer’s forthcoming book, nor do I anticipate him acting upon my suggestion to host a more balanced reform event by including higher education scholars. In my mind, if you want an event to truly evaluate the future of higher education, don’t stock the panels with edtech evangelists. But before I can shrug off this incident and move on with my life, I want to address the epistemological dimensions of the experience.

More specifically, I want to talk about the nature of knowledge and empirical superiority. One of the rhetorical devises employed at events like this is to make sweeping claims, then throw “data,” “evidence,” and/or “research” in the faces of the audience. This effectively inoculates the speaker against criticism and turns an assertion into irrefutable fact. Before you know it, we “know” the “truth,” leaving little room for alternatives. The problem is that anyone with a modicum of training in research understands that what we “know” can be rather circumstantial and fragile. You cite a few studies that say x, then I counter with a few studies that say y, and soon enough we’re embroiled in an empirical pissing match. This happens to be a favorite pastime of academics. I don’t want to downplay the importance of dialogue and disagreement when it comes to the evolution of knowledge. Rather, the idea here is that what we “know” when it comes to higher education is far muddier than many people in the “disruptive innovation” movement like to believe.

Let’s take an example from the event I attended. The most frequent claim made during the event was that there is little to no learning that actually happens at colleges and universities. There is reason to buy into this claim. We have empirical findings that certainly raise questions about what students are learning, and some even indicate that students aren’t cognitively changing much from start to finish. Yet we also have studies that either challenge the validity of the aforementioned findings or show the opposite—that many experiences (inside the classroom and outside the classroom) lead to positive outcomes like the development of leadership skills, enhancement of critical thinking, and capacity for self-advocacy and political engagement. As it turns out, our knowledge of learning in higher education is highly dependent upon what type of learning is valued and how it is measured. In other words, findings differ according to context, data, and methodology. I don’t refute the possibility that there is limited learning on campus. Nor do I completely the reject the possibility that online media provide equally credibly means of promoting learning. I simply recognize that saying there is no evidence that campus-based experiences or interaction with faculty are beneficial to students is an audacious proposition, one that borders on the ridiculous.

When I objected to a panel’s interpretation of learning and suggested that there are many social benefits to investment in higher education, I met another rhetorical device that seems particularly popular among economists. The response I received was: “I’m not convinced by that evidence.” I don’t deny him the right to evaluate research and use whatever he deems most compelling, but what happens is that the knowledge produced by disciplines given most respect in policy circles rises above the others. Even though higher education researchers understand the issues and realities of colleges and universities better than anyone, we are placed low on the totem pole of knowledge producers. In these circles, it doesn’t matter that my evidence casts a shadow of doubt on your claims because you can enforce empirical superiority and trump my evidence.

I want to end by emphasizing something missing in all of the discussions during the event I attended. It is something that I wish I had noted in my Twitter debate about evidence, but failed to bring up because it is an undervalued form of knowledge. That is, I know that students learn and benefit as a result of on-campus experiences and interactions with faculty because they tell me that they do. It struck me that some of the experts speaking about higher education reform have hardly worked on a college campus. They haven’t supervised resident assistants and watched them grow to become leaders. They haven’t advised a sorority and helped women take action against rising incidents of sexual assault. They haven’t received letters from students years after they had them in class—letters just saying hello or thanking them for revealing new insights. They haven’t run into former students who ascribe their professional success to a really great mentor or professor. In truth, they hardly know anything about students or have much experience working with them.

The notion that we have no evidence that being on campus and interacting with faculty is beneficial is laughable because it runs contrary to what students, staff, and faculty experience on a regular basis. This is the knowledge that keeps me in higher education, and it is the evidence that truly matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment